Dec 11, 2006

I am very sad because I haven't been paying a whole lot of attention to things that are happening, and now I open my damn New York magazine to see that a stage production of Lou Reed's Berlin, WHICH MIGHT BE THE BEST ALBUM EVER, is on this weekend at St. Ann's Warehouse and now it is tooooo late and there is no way to fix it, not ever. Tho I will admit that I have not enjoyed Lou Reed in concert. But to see "The Bed," live, in that weird space!

I did see the new David Hare play last week, Vertical Hour. Julianne Moore is so amazing in movies, but not on stage. It was like seeing Juliette Binoche a few years ago--she was so bland without a camera right up on her simmery, franchy face.! Bill Nighy was very charming tho, but the play was just weak, characters spouting not-very-interesting ideas in completely unbelievable dialogue that makes you wonder why the playwright didn't just write a (boring) essay. I think I just put myself to sleep writing about it, in fact.

MUCH more lovely and enjoyable was going to Molly Crabapple's reading at Bluestockings on Friday night. The Dr. Sketchy's Rainy Day Colouring Book is big and fat and full of wonders, and Molly read beautifully, and when the model began a-modelling, I gamely drew her many times in bright crayon even tho it looked like many tropical birds had died on my paper. I soldiered on, however, and even held up my drawings after in hopes of winning a free book. Unfortunately, Eric cheated by drawing effortlessly and artistically and cruelly stole the prize from me. I think Joi was in on it as well, but I can't prove it. Yet.

I also went to my first baby shower, at my sister's apartment, with many many girls and balloons, and then after, exhausted, my sister and I ordered in food and watched Being Julia and In the Cut. I will admit that I love the movie In the Cut, which I saw in the theater. I love Jane Campion, I think Mark Ruffalo is unbelievably sexy and am in denial about his real-life (short) stature, and I even love Meg Ryan in the movie, tho until I saw her in it I thought she was the anti-Dietrich and sort of everything that is wrong with the world today. I do not like Jennifer Jason Leigh in it, however, as I don't like her in anything, ever. I saw her in Proof a few years ago on Broadway and my ears are still ringing.

In other news, I have been on a huge health kick and cooking much more than usual. Sadly, I have killed many undeserving vegetables in the process. I keep putting artichokes or brussel sprouts in pans and only remembering them when a terrible smell of smoke and death has invaded my apartment. I think there is some evil force field around the doorway of my kitchen that makes me forget everything the moment I step past it, but I am determined to defeat it with my latent superhero powers.