Feb 12, 2007

I need to learn to speak more quotably. This is just sad. There was another article in Brattleboro in which I was quoted saying brilliant things like "I sort of don't like readings."

In other news, I went to this really cool reading series yesterday at the Good World Bar, which is really old fashioned and rustic, with these grayish battered thin-planked wood floors and cavernous walls and glittery windows, and it has all this Swedish food and plays good old-timey music. I met my new friend Rona there, one of the authors I met in Texas, and suddenly there was this whole crowd there and we were talking to this Algonquin editor, and this amazingly ebullient playwright woman with long long braids whose next play will be at the Mark Taper Forum in LA, and this poet who was one of the readers, whose poetry was very beautiful and, like, translucent, all blue and light and seashells and despair, and the bar was all candlelit and the reading was at dusk and it just felt really really NEW YORK.

After, I met Joi and Jeremy for dinner at Kate's Joint. Then they left and I wrote for a bit before my sister and her friend Angel came for more drinks. The Grammys were on at the bar and I have to say, I have never had the misfortune of seeing Cristina Aguilera or Justin Timberlake perform and I have now been scarred for life. And possibly for the afterlife as well.