Apr 30, 2007

I meant to write last week about this amazing movie I saw at the Tribeca Film Festival, Planet B-Boy. My friend Massie and I went to the premiere last Thursday since her good friend Mike worked on the movie. I had no real expectations, I just knew that Mike had been travelling around the world with a couple of other guys filming stuff about breakdancers, and I'd heard him talk about it a few times and it sounded interesting.. I was not expecting to be so blown away! It's a documentary about the "Battle of the Year" held every year in Germany and we follow a few of the main crews as they prepare for their big moment, from Japan and Korea and France and the U.S. It's totally funny and clever, hugely suspenseful (I was on the edge of my seat, literally, tho I suddenly realized near the end of the film that the make up of the audience should have clued me in on who had won..! I think they all flew in for the movie.. ), and really moving, too, since of course all the boys have a ton at stake and they live to do this and they make all these sacrifices to do what they do and have tremendous passion and it's emotional and sacred and their parents and communities don't quite get or respect it, etc. etc. And what they can do is unbelievable! They can move their bodies in ways that don't seem possible, like gymnastics and martial arts and circus all put together. The movie's playing this Wednesday and next Saturday, and I meant to post earlier because there were events on Friday and Saturday that included battles and performances.. Toooo bad for you. But it's playing two more times in NYC so go if you can. Otherwise you might experience an emptiness you can't quite account for, but that haunts you...