May 20, 2007

So I don't think there is ANY way I can do justice to last night, but.. it was just one of the most beautiful nights, just sheer pleasure and a gorgeous wood-floored fireplace-filled-with-candles room in a bistro in Soho, just 4 long tables all up on each other and everyone so happy, so overwhelmed and emotional and elated to be there.. and I could go on and on about the fascinating people I met and how much I completely adored the men I was sitting next to, just fell so in love with them and laughed for hours and exchanged stories, but the best part was when Shax and Eric stood in the middle of the room and Anna Deavere Smith conducted a ceremony that had me and I think almost everyone in there crying, talking about Eric and Shax in the most loving, beautiful way, weaving the story of their first meeting to how they ended up here, and weaving back again, and talking about love and friendship and using all of these stunning images and the two of them so beautiful in front of her, and then Eric and Shax had each written vows in letter form to each other and sealed the envelopes, and they exchanged them and read the other's words out loud and were so overwhelmed and emotional when they were reading, and it was so pure and sweet and true to who they are and they were laughing one second and choked up the next, and I had tears streaming down my face and just felt like it wasn't possible to be in a room with more love in it than that. And their parents! Both sets of parents hugging each other and making these beautiful toasts, so proud and happy... It was one of my favorite nights ever.

Today I am off to the horse races and then to Joi's slutty no-good garden. I hope I don't get lost in it, or snatched by one of the carnivorous vines, but it IS Brooklyn, so...