Feb 24, 2009

I've joined Twitter under the incredibly original and frankly stunning name carolynturgeon. A lovely book reviewer I spoke to today advised me to. So if you are on Twitter you should obviously become friends with me. I am quite sure it will bring our relationship to a whole new level.

I also was told by another lovely book marketeering friend that it was crucial for me to sign up for Amazon Connection and so I did that too. But now I have to put things on it.

I also went to Goodreads, yet another thing I signed up for and don't check much -- of course for that site it would help if I actually read things -- and whilst there stumbled upon a reader's review of Godmother that is by far the nastiest review I've ever read of mah own glorious prose. The review ends with this line, however,

If this author offers you a nice, refreshing glass of Kool-Aid, it’s probably best to pass ...

which I think has a nice wicked witch ring to it.

And the book isn't even out yet!

In other news, I went up to Random House today to sign a bunch of books and take care of some things, and I was gifted with several other books published by Three Rivers/Crown. One was THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GUIDE. Another was LOVE IS A MIX TAPE, a memoir about a man who fell in love with his wife through music and coped with her early death through music too. I started on the train and it done nearly made me cry just in the first few pages.

It's almost enough to make me read again!

Listen:

Falling in love with Renee was not the kind of thing you walk away from in one piece. I had no chance. She put a hitch in my git-along. She would wake up in the middle of the night and say things like ‘What if Bad Bad Leroy Brown was a girl?’ or ‘Why don’t they have commercials for salt like they do for milk?’ Then she would fall back to sleep, while I would lie awake and give thanks for this alien creature beside whom I rested.

Renee was a real cool hell-raising Appalachian punk-rock girl. Her favorite song was the Rolling Stones’ ‘Let’s Spend the Night Together.’ Her favorite album was Pavement’s Slanted and Enchanted. She rooted for the Atlanta Braves and sewed her own silver vinyl pants. She knew which kind of screwdriver was which. She baked pies, but not very often. She could rap Roxanne Shante’s ‘Go on Girl’ all the way through. She called Eudora Welty ‘Miss Eudora.’ She had an MFA in fiction but never got any stories published, but she kept writing them anyway. She bought too many shoes and dyed her hair red. Her voice was full of the frazzle and crackle of music.

Renee was a country girl, three months older than me. She was born on November 21, 1965, the same day as Bjork, in the Metropolitan Mobile Home Park in Northcross, Georgia. She grew up in southwest Virginia, with her parents, Buddy and Nadine, and her little sister. When she was three, Buddy wa transferred to the defense plant in Pulaski County, and so her folks spent a summer building a house there. Renee used to sit in the backyard, feeding grass to the horses next door through the fence. She had glasses, curly brown hair, and a beagle named Snoopy. She went to Fairlawn Baptist Church and Pulaski High School and Hollins College. She got full-immersion baptized in Claytor Lake. The first record she ever owned was KC & the Sunshine Band's "Get Down Tonight." KC was her first love. I was her last.