Apr 11, 2010

While I remain in a journalizing kind of mood I will randomly note the following:

1. I saw THE RUNAWAYS yesterday and I completely, totally loved it even tho it was a little on the UN-DEEP side and not altogether cohesive... But it looked amazing, sounded amazing, the girls in it were amazing, and I appreciated the I'm-your-wild-girl-ness of the whole thing, down to sort of random girly moments like where one girl gets her period for the first time and another learns how to orgasm. I would have liked it to be a little deeper but a girl can't have everything -- unless she's Joan Jett.

2. A few days ago I saw The Last Station, and I didn't even have any idea what it was about, just that Helen Mirren was in it... but man! Christopher Plummer as Tolstoy and Helen Mirren as his countess wife, the two of them madly in love with each other after 48 years of marriage but diametrically opposed to each other in their ideologies, him wanting to give away his moolah and copyrights to the people, her wanting to secure their children's futures... I was a complete sucker for the romance of it all, this I-can't-stand-you-but-I-totally-love-you-ness of it, which I in part blame Jonathan Richman and The Modern Lovers for -- "I can't stand what you do but I'm in love with your eyes" -- not to mention Wuthering Heights, and by the end of the film I was all swooning and weepy, and honestly I just thought it was the most romantic thing ever. Which is probably why I'm so bad at relationships. Sigh.

3. I ALSO recently saw Hot Tub Time Machine, and clearly I have no powers of discrimination as I loved that, too.

4. Writing wise, I turned in what I BELIEVES is the final version of Mermaid a week or so ago (the book comes out next March, and I'm excited, I think it's better than Rain Village or Godmother), and I am now working on the first chapter and synopsis of the next novel and will present it to my agent and hopefully editors next week. If all pans out, it will be another kind of fairytale retelling, but maybe mixing together more than one, and maybe with a little more goofiness added in with the glitteriness and weird, twisted aspects. I'm also working on the children's book that will come out next year (a middle grade chapter book -- awkward girl stuff mixed with some beautiful fairytale stuff, more on that later!), and the idea for a YA novel. Plus I want to finally finish my noir and publish it under a glamorous PEN NAME, and I'm also trying to do a screenplay.

5. Plus I am playing lots of racquetball and watching too many shows like AMERICAN IDOL and PROJECT RUNWAY and CELEBRITY APPRENTICE on DVR, and I'm taking bellydance lessons. And soon I'm gonna be able to play this on the accordion. And any minute now my friend Barb's gonna have herself a baby named Vivienne Coco and I can't wait to meet her.

The End.